Dr. Michael Breus, PhD
Cognitive Behavioral Treatment for Insomnia in Adults
CBTI (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia) is a research based, structured technique with proven results. In some cases it has been shown to be more effective than medication, and has longer lasting results. During treatment we will discover how you think about sleep, and how these thoughts affect your feelings and sleep habits. You will also learn how to change your sleep habits and behaviors to help you sleep. The initial evaluation will last 90 minutes. You will be asked to keep a sleep journal at home and bring it with you each week for review. In some cases we may be able to to this electronically. Therapy will last from 8-15 sessions depending on how long you have had insomnia, treatment compliance, and if you are currently taking sleep medication.
Childhood Sleep Problems
Children go through developmental sleep stages that can present many challenges as they grow. I use only behavioral techniques and no sleep medications to help children with:
- Bedtime Problems
- Nighttime Fears
- Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome
The 4 Components of Therapy
1) Sleep Restriction: Sleep restriction asks that you limit your time in bed to the actual time you are sleeping. This may seem strange, but your body needs to get used to being asleep while in bed.
2) Sleep Hygiene Education: Learn and adopt sleep hygiene recommendations that are realistic and effective.
3) Cognitive Restructuring: Understand your thoughts and ideas about sleep, challenge and reshape them as needed.
4) Meditation and Relaxation Training: Learn and incorporate special breathing, meditation and relaxation techniques into your nightly routine.
Insomnia – What Is It? Why Treat it?
Just can’t get to sleep? Can’t stay asleep? Waking up too early? Not feeling refreshed and restored in the morning? Not functioning well during the day? You may have insomnia. As much as 1/3 of the population has symptoms of insomnia.
Those with insomnia typically say:
” Help I Can’t Turn Off My Brain!!!”
If you have insomnia, there is help! Through the use of a structured program of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and natural remedies, YOU can take charge of your sleep, without taking pills. What happens when you treat your insomnia?
You Feel Better!
You Look Better!
You Perform Better
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Breus
Please use our contact form. Telephone consultations available
Please contact our office for information about fees.
The office does not bill insurance or other third party carriers but is happy to provide a bill for that purpose.