Only the most severe cases require a study in a sleep lab and the biggest majority of people that I treat don’t require drugs or are able to significantly reduce or even stop using drugs they’ve been previously prescribed to sleep.
You can take control of your sleep
As long as I’ve been a practicing sleep doctor, I’ve wanted to do one thing, help EVERYONE get a better night of sleep. Some people call me obsessed but I KNOW what happens to people when they feel unrested. They feel like they have lost some of their passion for living, their creativity, their drive, even mental function.
Sadly, MOST people live with poor sleep and being unrested because they tell themselves, “I’ve lived with this for so long, it’s just the way it is.”
It doesn’t have to be that way.
For the longest time I treated as many patients as I could. I talked to them about their friends and family and tried to get them to send them in to me. And, in large numbers they did but they all had the same story. “My son, daughter, friend, co-worker etc., needs this but they don’t have time to come in or they can’t afford it.”
The “no time” and “can’t afford it” argument drove me crazy. There had to be a way to address both.
So, I really looked at what I was doing and what was getting the best results and began working on creating a new way of helping. That’s when I realized that except for the most extreme cases (Narcolepsy and Sleep Apnea for example) I could give people the tools they needed to control their sleep right where they needed them the most and where they would have time … In their home. And, if I didn’t have to see them in an expensive lab full of equipment, I could solve the cost issue as well.
To say I was excited would be an understatement!
I got to work.
I spent over a year writing my book, the seminal work on Chronotype for regular people who just want to function at their best. And, I went to work on creating the at home program that we will do together. The result of all that work is:
The Dr. Breus Control Your Sleep Program
I know, it isn’t the wittiest name in the world but let’s not forget that I’m a doctor, not a salesman!
The Control Your Sleep Program is a complete, six-part program that will change the way you sleep.
- What is Sleep – Understanding sleep and how sleep works is a critical component of taking control of your sleep. In this section you’ll not only understand how sleep works but more importantly how YOUR sleep is working. In this section you’ll be acting as a research scientist with me. I will show you how to collect the right type of data to break down your sleepless behaviors. Don’t worry, it isn’t hard but it does take commitment to getting better on your part.
- Your New Personalized Bedtime and Power Down Hour – This is the first step of change in taking control of your sleep. You will use your personal data to determine your personal bedtime, not a-one-size-fits-all program that many try and pass off as accurate. You’ll be learning new techniques for getting ready to sleep. You will learn exactly how to time when YOU go to bed to maximize your opportunity for continuous, restorative sleep. You will also learn about how food effects your sleep and what the perfect bedtime snack can be! I will also give you my recipe for a tea that will help you calm down and relax before bed, like no other.
- Review Your Sleep Diary and Learn Progressive Muscle Relaxation – In this part of the program we will do a guided, comprehensive review of your sleep diary. I’ll also teach you how to do progressive muscle relaxation. Understanding how to do progressive muscle relaxation will exponentially increase your ability to fall asleep and sleep deeper. There is a specific process combined with everything else you are learning that makes this work. You’ll know exactly how to do it, when to do it and what to expect as you do it.
- Guided Imagery – Learning how to guide your mind to deeper levels of relaxation and tranquility predictively produces better, longer sleeping periods. This isn’t some cassette tape style program you’ve seen sold on late night TV. This guided imagery technique is a psychological process designed specifically to enhance your brain’s ability to power down and restore your body through sleep. My patients tell me that after they learn this technique that not only do they sleep better, it becomes one of their favorite times of the night. Also we will review your bedroom environment to learn more about how light, sound even your mattress effects your sleep.
- Feelings, Thoughts, and Actions Around Sleep – This is the piece that brings it all together. Using a modified version of a psychological process called Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) I have developed in my practice over the past 15 years, we will work through the underlying issues that have kept you from sleeping fully. You’ll learn how to manage meta behaviors by breaking them down into small behaviors that you can control. This technique is one of the most powerful psychology tools in use today and one of the most effective in breaking old habits and creating new, empowering behaviors that support you. I think you’ll be stunned by how effective this is (and once you learn it where else it may be helpful in your life).
- Maintenance – Like anything you do, practice improves performance. Staying on track is the key to long term success. Together we will walk through a long term maintenance plan that will allow you to keep fine tuning and creating more success. Sleep is for life and controlling your sleep is a lifetime process as well. It isn’t complicated or difficult but it will require that you take positive, proactive steps to sleep well the rest of your life. Through the maintenance phase you will develop “Unconscious Competence” and soon this will all be second nature to you, you will no longer think about it, you’ll just do it. It will be as natural as, well, sleeping.
I designed this program so anyone can do it. You can do it by yourself or with the person you sleep with. I’ve broken it into easy to understand lessons that combine both video and worksheets to make learning and implementing the material foolproof. The program does not take a lot of time, in fact most people can complete the work in between 15 minutes to under an hour a day. And, once you’ve done the work and know the material, the biggest majority of what you’ll be doing each day is leading you to sleep.